27 October 2005

Weather themes in music?

So I was sitting at the computer, listening to Green Day's Wake Me Up When September Ends, and I was thinking, someone needs to tell these guys that September ended about a month ago. And, by the way, if they're singing a song, it implies that they're awake. But that's just me. Does anyone else think that's weird? I mean, why would you write and perform a great song, just to have it laughed at because it isn't September anymore. That's like Craig Morgan's Redneck Yacht Club. It's winter, ok? And what about Allan Jackson's Summertime Blues? It's not smart to name your song or to sing about some seasonal event, unless it's Christmas or Easter. And besides, not many people are interested in a song that's whining about how hot it is when it's -14 degrees outside. That's not connecting with your listeners! But hey, I'm not a music artist. I just listen to it and criticize it.

Maybe someday I could start my own band. I wouldn't have to go to college, or try to be patient with an abyssymal boss. That beats earning $5.40 an hour. If only I could write songs! Oh, well. I'll start a band, learn to play drums, piano and guitar, and then I can find someone who writes really good songs. I can't decide if I should do that or be a mom. I'll see.

No comments: