08 February 2007

Due explanation!

My mom wonders why I sometimes draw pictures of guys. When she asked, I really didn't have a good response, because I hadn't really thought about it. But I have now, and this is the conclusion I've reached.

It’s very difficult to draw the human features, as many of my past pictures will testify to. I choose to draw guys not because I’m obsessed with them, but rather because when you draw guys, you get much more “up-front” features with more distinction and clarity. Girls have softer features and their expressions are more difficult to capture. I believe that in order to become a capable artist, you must be able to draw both masculine and feminine traits. I'm starting with guys because, simply put, they're easier. Not a lot easier, mind you-it's always a challenge to complete someone's features and expressions with success. But if there's an easier way to do something, I'm going to try it before I move on to the more challenging side.

Not obsession, but polishing.

No comments: