14 May 2006

Why do I like country?

Just the other day, my friend was surprised and distressed to learn that I like country music. I know it isn't perfect, but here are a few samples of why it's so cool. These are a few of my favorites.

--<-@

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow
Don't worry about what you don't know
Life's a dance you learn as you go
Life’s a Dance, John Michael Montgomery

I'm for the low man on the totem pole
And I'm for the underdog God bless his soul
And I'm for the guys still pulling third shift
And the single mom raisin' her kids
I'm for the preachers who stay on their knees
And I'm for the sinner who finally believes
And I'm for the farmer with dirt on his hands
And the soldiers who fight for this land

Chorus:

And I'm for the Bible and I'm for the flag
And I'm for the working man, me and ol' Hag
I'm just one of many
Who can't get no respect
Politically uncorrect

I guess my opinion is all out of style
Aw, but don't get me started cause I can get riled
And I'll make a fight for the forefathers plan
And the world already knows where I stand

Nothing wrong with the Bible, nothing wrong with the flag
Nothing wrong with the working man me & ol' Hag
We're just some of many who can't get no respect
Politically uncorrect
Politically uncorrect

Politically Uncorrect, Merle Haggard and Gretchen Wilson

You think you're one of millions but you're one in a million to me
When you wonder if you matter, baby look into my eyes
And tell me, can't you see you're everything to me

That's alright, that's ok
When you don't feel important honey
All I've gotta say is
To the world
You may be just another girl
But to me,
Baby, you are the world
The World, Brad Paisley

Gonna kick off my shoes
And run in bare feet
Where the grass and the dirt and the gravel all meet
Goin' back to the well gonna visit old friends
And feed my soul where the blacktop ends
Where the Blacktop Ends, Keith Urban

My old friend, this song's for you
Cause a few simple verses
Was the least that I could do
To tell the world that you were here
Cause the love and the laughter
Will live long after
All of the sadness and the tears
We'll meet again, my old friend
My Old Friend, Tim McGraw

I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean
Whenever one door closes I hope one more opens
Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance
and when you get the choice to sit it out or dance,
I hope you dance, I hope you dance.
I Hope You Dance, Leeann Womack

Life ain't always beautiful
Sometimes it's just plain hard
Life can knock you down, it can break your heart

Life ain't always beautiful
You think you're on your way
And it's just a dead end road at the end of the day

But the struggle makes you stronger
And the changes make you wise
And happiness has it's own way of takin' it sweet time
Life Ain’t Always Beautiful, Gary Allan

I wanna cry like the rain
Cry like the rain
Shine like the sun on a beautiful mornin'
Sing to the heavens like a church bell ringin'
Fight with the devil and go down swingin'
Fly like a bird
Roll like a stone
Love like I aint afraid to be alone
Take everything that this world has to give
I wanna live
I Wanna Live, Josh Gracin

And I need you to know
You can fall into me
That my arms are wide open and will always be
Right here waiting
Staying strong
Come and fall into me....
Fall Into Me, Emerson Drive

5 comments:

Josh said...

I like country, Have some friends that think that it is the worst but that is their problem.

I really like tim McGraws My Old Friend. sad song but cool

Lydia said...

Hey that's cool. I like it, too.... It's getting to where more people like it, too. Just not my friends. Maybe they'll like it someday.

~DF

Anonymous said...

Okay I have now ofically FAILED my duty as your friend. I mean don't get me wrong some country is cool just not the majority of it. And on bands list?! What happened there. There was no rock :'( and barely any Hip-hop. I know you don't like the hard-core stuff, and because of that, try out Where'd you Go, by Fort Minor. I think that thou wilst like it. And by the way, what's up with the whole I'm synical as can be. That's not really the girl I know but ok.

Mrs. D said...

What do you think of Josh Turner? I am a regular listener of country music, although I am increasing its "air time" in my life, but when I heard "Your Man" by Josh Turner I was awed by his deep voice. The lyrics were clean and good and romantic, as well. I later found out that Josh is a Christian and the woman in the "Your Man" video is his wife Jennifer.

I have both of his CD's and am enjoying them more than I thought I would.

Lydia said...

Hi Jennifer,

I really do like Josh Turner, especially his new song. I'm not sure of the title, but his voice is really good. He sounds quite nice! He also keeps his stuff clean, which is nice for teens like me.

~DF