25 March 2006

Dark subjects

Ok, here's what I've found out in my short and often traumatizing, scary and sad life.

We have a hole in us.

Profound, yet extremely weird. Most likely, you weren't born with a hole in your physical heart. But if you were born any time in the past (however long the world's been around; I say about four thousand years), then you have a hole in your heart. Not a physical hole, but a hole all the same. That hole is what you feel after you build your life around your girlfriend, and she leaves, or your job, and you lose it, or your family, and they don't love you in return. That hole is what you feel after you've tried everything there is to try, and you have everything you could ever wish to have, and you still feel like you're lacking inside. Atheists argue that man can, will, and has existed on his own, without God. Nietsche said, "God is dead." I, however, being the non-atheist that I am, beg to differ.

Number one, I have no proof for my God except that I'm sitting here typing this message. The very fact that my heart works, my lungs function, and I can see almost crystal clear is evidence for intelligent design. If you don't think so, please leave a comment. I'll be happy to hear what you have to say. Please, by all means, prove me wrong. I want to hear both sides of the story. But I'm not going to get into the material side of God until I get through this first. If I was asked how I know that God exists I would simply say that I have meaning. What on earth am I talking about? Of course you have meaning! Without God, people can have meaning by...uh...please help me, I'm struggling here. To make a difference for the better? If that's what you think, I have news for you, friend. Everyone will die. "So?" you may say. "My legacy will live on!" Well, I'm sorry, but history forgets almost as easily as people. Your legacy will not live on forever. Nothing lasts forever, as the classic rock band Kansas seems to think. Though I must admit, Kansas had a fairly good idea of human existence. Let me quote a little Kansas for you.

I close my eyes, only for a moment, and the moment's gone
All my dreams, pass before my eyes, a curiosity
Dust in the wind, all they are is dust in the wind
Same old song, just a drop of water in an endless sea
All we do crumbles to the ground, though we refuse to see

These lyrics written by Kerry Livgren, not me.

Kansas, a secular band from a different era, captures the destitude of the human life. What is the point of life? How can we be sure that we can make a difference, or, for ourselves, be able to trust in the only truth we can be sure of? Well, there are actually two things we can be sure of.

1. We sin. This might seem horribly simple, but honestly, it's very important. We are not born perfect. We are not influenced into sin by our surroundings and aqcuaintances. Where did they get it? Their aqcuiantances? And where did their aqcuaintances get it? Ah, a never-ending question put to a fundamentally flawed theory. When a child is born, no, when a child is conceived, he is already sinful. Yes, it's true. I don't have pages of proof, but I'll show you proof we are born sinful after you show me we are not born sinful. Anyhow, let's just assume that we are born sinful. Sin is bad, right? No matter how we treat it. Sin is lying to your boss, cheating on your spouse, hating your brother or sister. You feel horrible and empty after you lie, cheat or hate. The old adage, "Hate hurts the hater more than the hated," is not entirely true. Well, it is, but both parties suffer. Would you agree? Has anyone ever hated you? How did you feel? Hurt? Offended? You bet. We're programmed to recognize sin. Has hating someone made you feel better? Maybe for a minute, but it's a hollow victory.

2. Sin breeds death. Sin can only lead to the demise of the sinner. Sin is where death came from in the first place. Therefore, you sin, you die. And everyone sins. But what about the afterlife? "I don't believe in that abstract stuff! How can we know?" Well, the truth is, we can't know. Neither people who believe in Heaven and hell, nor the people who don't care or know. People can't know. But you know what? I have a story for you about this subject. It goes like this.

A man and his friends were talking about death and the afterlife. The man thought that there was a God and that he would go to Heaven, since God had accepted him and loved him. His friends, however, scoffed at the idea. "Not a chance!" they said. "There's no God! There's no Heaven. Man is self-sufficient." But the man just smiled at his friends' ridicule. Later in the conversation, as the friends were about to say goodnight and go home, the man stopped them. "If there is no God, and you're right, then when we die we both cease to exist. But if I'm right, and there is a God, and we can live with Him or suffer eternal punishment, you, will be suffering eternal punishment." His friends were converted to Christianity.

The point of this short story is that I couldn't have said it better myself. This man knew how to turn an argument around, and I applaud him. Do you agree with this story? Let me know what you think.

No comments: