31 October 2005

Looking for an alternative to Nickelback? Try Creed


After my initial review of Nickelback's latest CD, All the Right Reasons, I began pondering what I could listen to instead, that wouldn't be an affront to my morals or my sense of aesthetics, something not as shallow as Nickelback. The answer came to me when I was listening to the radio. The band was Creed, and the song title was Higher. Now, it may sound like a drug trip song, but it isn't. Listen to the first part of the refrain:

Can you take me higher
To the place where blind men see?
Can you take me higher
To the place with golden streets?

Well, a place with golden streets sounds to me a lot like heaven. And consider this; lead singer Scott Stapp was a professing Christian when he sang in Creed. He made a point of writing and singing very hopeful and Christian-lifestyle influenced songs. None of the songs by Creed encourage illegitimate sex, drugs, or revenge. They inspire hope, joy, and some very understandable sadness or loss. In their song One Last Breath, Scott intones the following;

I'm looking down now that it's over
Reflecting on all of my mistakes
I thought I found the road to somewhere
Somewhere in His grace.

Now forgive me for thinking so, but that has a lot more depth and none of the suicidal notes of like-sounding bands Staind and Nickelback.
However, at times Creed hurts like everyone else. But they let it out constructively, asking God what He has in mind, like in Don't Stop Dancing.

At times life's unfair and you know it's plain to see
Hey, God, I know I'm just a dot in this world
Have you forgot about me?
Whatever life brings
I've been through everything
And know I'm on my knees again

Creed has depth, that can't be denied. But because of the somewhat grinding (yet certainly tuneful) guitars and Stapp's gritty vocals, many parents may be tempted to just turn it off. But consider this; Creed has earned much respect over the past few years, and though Stapp is no longer with his band, Creed CDs are available almost everywhere. ONE EXCEPTION to all this good stuff is the band's somewhat dark CD, My Own Prison.


On another note, Stapp wrote and sang the song With Arms Wide Open, about a young father and mother ready to learn to be good parents, to his son before he was born. Though Stapp and his wife are now divorced, Stapp is raising his son in the Christian lifestyle.


Thanks to Creed, kids can enjoy popular tunes like My Sacrifice without the negative impact of Staind, Korn (interesting story on them, too), or Nickelback.
Parents can rest assured that their kids will not be negatively influenced by Creed. Or, if you're willing to brave the guitars and vocals, you can pre-listen before you let your kids listen. But rest assured that Creed is not a shallow or suicidal band.

No comments: